The Changeling Inversion (LOCKED: Doctor & Shank)

Stories and RP Threads
Doctor

The Changeling Inversion (LOCKED: Doctor & Shank)

Post by Doctor » 10/23/18 08:45 PM

Date: October 22nd, 1818
Time: 5:02PM

-PHHEEEEEOOOOWWWWT!-

The hiss of steam arouse from the stalk of the candy coated train, which had just pulled into the train station of a small town called “Ponyville.” This town was rather... ‘renowned’ for its strange occurrences, and it's even stranger weekly monster attacks. There wasn't a week that went by where a report of anomalous, or even just 'unusual’ activity didn't come from this town, and get reported directly to the RIA headquarters in Canterlot.... Except... Last week. Last week, and the week before that, there were no reports coming out of Ponyville. At all.... When someone up in Canterlot took note of this- they did the only reasonable thing they could. They came up with an excuse, and sent the most trustworthy man they could find to Ponyville, to “investigate.”

... Of course. Somewhere in the politics of it all, they may have forgotten to inform said man of his mission... And in fact, convinced him rather instead to go to Ponyville on the premise that it was a “Mental Health” Vacation for them.... Thus, lead Captain Shank, of the Lunar Guard, to step out onto the creaky wooden planks of the lone train station, dressed in nothing more than a Hawaiian Shirt, and a pair of sunglasses.... Why they had scheduled this vacation/train ticket for broad daylight was anyone's guess- but he had a room in a local Inn on the outskirts of town called “The Flipping Coin, Tavern and Inn” and had himself a nice little pension for his “paid vacation” to spend while he was here... However the train station seemed eerily quiet... The Late fall breeze washed across the station, being cool and yet, perfectly tempered against the warmth provided by the sun, making it a nearly perfect 65 degrees Fahrenheit, with clouds in the sky, and a full weeks worth of vacation time out of Canterlot....

Otherwise, there was no set goal. (Yet.) There was only a dirt road into town, and an empty train station to greet the Captain.... Which was strange- Princess Twilight had promised to send someone to personally meet him here...
Last edited by Doctor on 10/28/18 07:36 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Shank
Site Admin

Re: The Changeling Inversion (LOCKED: Doctor & Shank)

Post by Shank » 10/24/18 03:40 PM

Shank was indeed surprised at the lack of a greeting party of any kind. He and Twilight had worked together many times before. Then again, he thought, catching his reflection in glass of a window, that maybe she'd been informed of what affront to fashion they had foisted on him, and she had gone into hiding.

As Shank thought about it, the cascade of inevitable consequences played before him. Pinkie Pie would think his shirt meant he wanted a party. Applejack would snort, Fluttershy would call it... ugh.... pretty, Rainbow Dash would laugh her ass off, and Rarity would ambush him and insist on a makeover right that instant because that shirt was THE. WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!

And so Shank moved cautiously into Ponyville expecting the average citizen to flee in terror from the shirt, and the six great heroes (he could almost imagine Spike yelling "SEVEN!") were nowhere to be seen. No ambushes, no yanking into shops, nothing. The population in general seemed down. Shank just figured that was because he was there to darken their days, but everyone, everywhere seemed.... down. As if disappointed or unsure. They looked... almost as if something they had taken for granted was now gone. The more he thought about it, the more it felt like some... essential part of the town was just missing.

Shank resolved to head to the inn, settle in, get rid of this atrocious shirt, and do what he was good it: Perching someplace high during the night, and brood while watching and observing ponies. Something was down about this town, and Shank wanted to know what.

Doctor

Post by Doctor » 10/24/18 08:30 PM

Spooky atmosphere aside- Shanks' observation was correct. Something about the town did feel a bit 'off'... Not the folk themselves- they all acted normally about, but.... Everything seemed rather calm.... From the way he spoke of the Main Six (+1 Baby Dragon,) it sounded like he knew them personally- so to say he would notice a lack of unusual hilarity, or chatter was most unusual... Actually- while meandering his way through town, he would note that no one was speaking. No one at all was talking to each other. They just looked at each other a bit, before walking on to the next store or group. Eventually they did take notice of him, the thestral stallion was unusual to the town's surroundings, and there were no 'residents' like him normally about. Some waved, some nodded, but no one seemed in the mood to speak.... What was wrong? Had someone died?

Shanks, for his part, would be stopped however as a chestnut brown stallion, with a bright blue bow-tie, was backing up out of a little shop that looked rather bizarre. An hourglass cutiemark on his side, chocolate brown mane, bright blue eyes- backing up right into Shanks with a rather ornate looking mantle clock (made out of what appeared to be purple/blue crystal) the size of a medium filly strapped to his back. Physically? This wasn't more than a light bump- but the stallion still grunted afterwards, and blinked before turning swiftly around. "Oh! Great Nickering Stallions- forgive me, I...." He paused and blinked as he looked at Shanks, raising an eyebrow as he studied him for a few moments, before smiling. "...." He seemed distant for a moment. Briefly. Before smiling again, as he brushed himself off. "Forgive me, I wasn't paying attention. That was entirely my fault." He said, giving a light bow. His accent was strange, a bit "Northern" perhaps? Possibly Trottingham- or maybe even a mix of Trottingham and Canterlot. He was also a bit of a tall stallion looking lanky and lean over big and muscular. Certainly fit him well. "I'm Time Turner by the way, Time Turner "Clocksmith" Hooves, but my close friends just call me Turner." He greeted, trying to be polite and make up for his mistake.

Shank
Site Admin

Post by Shank » 10/26/18 08:41 PM

"Yes, I know who you are...." Shank looked down at the stallion, raising an eyebrow. "I was there when you tried to explain to Luna your theory for making time come forward to the future, and not you going past to the back." Shank paused and rubbed his head. "And something about the chronology protection conjecture and then I kind of fell asleep where I was standing..."

Shank extended a hoof out to him. "Captain Shank Starsinger, Lunar Guard, naturally." The big thestral sighed and looked around the town.

In big cities, ponies would drift into their particular minority. Collections of unicorns, bars full of thestrals, upper class, middle class, lower class. But in a small town, there weren't enough ponies to form a minority. There simply weren't enough ponies to further subdivide. Living in a small town is like living in a large family of rather weird relatives. Sometimes it’s fun, and sometimes it’s perfectly awful, but it’s always enjoyable in the end. Usually, not today though.

"What's going on here, Turner. Everypony is walking around like they have been kicked too much, or not enough, I can't tell."

Doctor

Post by Doctor » 10/27/18 08:55 PM

"Oh! You were able to stay awake through that much of it? I'm surprised, it's a pleasure then- and also, it was more the theory of an extra dimension within our own reality that which time took on physical matter and thus, was capable of passage through, and the effects of needing such temporal correction mechanisms to prevent Time Travel from being used irresponsibly again- but never mind that." Time Turner smiled and shook his hoof. "Captain of the Guard? Well then it's a pleasure!" He said, before blinking as he seemed a bit confused. He raised an eyebrow as he looked around to the other members of town, which seemed to be paying no mind to the two of them, but... Well they ALL were for that matter.

"I... Can't say for certain- I've been locked up in my Lab for the last 2 weeks or so? Just finished with some maintenance for this crystal clock Princess Twilight Sparkle... This thing. It's- it's been honestly bothering me nonstop, this clock. It is *perfectly* accurate when it comes to keeping track of time. It's complex beyond the most advances mechantry I've seen before! It's even better than Star-Swirld's own designs and his methodologies for accurately using magic and mechanisms with the exact same purpose of time tracking. In fact? It's so complex, that I would wager it could VERY well be tied into the very fabric of our own world's sense of collective conscious in order to just keep track of it."

Then he sighed and rubbed the back of his head some as he tried to shift the large crystal clock on his back a bit. "The problem with it is.... Well, after ALL that adventuring through time, and the high-level spell casting going on in Miss Sparkle's Castle (along with a few noticeable DRAGON BITES taken out of it)...." He sighed and rubbed the back of his head. "It was still keeping track. During all of that. It has some temporal protection mechanism within it, that shielded it while all of that was going on. So, now the Clock is still rather AHEAD of our own perception of the state of this time by a number of measurements, instead of on track with our own current perception of it.... As you can imagine, it's upsetting for the Princess who has OCD, and tries to keep herself on a 'timely' schedule, so I've been rather stuck trying to correct it to THIS current state of time for a while now....." He then looked back to Shank and thought about what he had said for a moment, before sighing and giving up. "I've been very busy in otherwords, cooped up in my Laboratory, so I'm a little out of the Loop...."

Shank
Site Admin

Post by Shank » 11/6/18 07:40 PM

"Magic and science are not my strong suits, Doc. Twilight once tried to teach me about charge, parity, and time reversal symmetry and I about had an aneurysm right there.... anyway, as you said...." Shank offered him a shake of the hoof, and then looked back to the others in the town. He let out an almost resigned sigh. Much as Shank protested against an enforced vacation, life had seemed a constant stream of disappointments lately. Either he was being stunned and thrown through a wall physically, or stunned and thrown for a loop mentally. It was a low point in his left. Truth be told, Shank was close to just cracking like a egg. Would he? No, not yet. Duty always managed to motivate him to act once again and do his job, but part of him really was sick of it. Just once he wanted to be sent somewhere where the great danger he faced was the possibility to too many ponies in one bed at the same time.

"I.... think I see what you're saying. Let me try and see if I grasp it. If the world is a game board, everything on it is moving forward in a series of turns. From our perspective, we're always moving at the same rate... but from the perspective of looking down at the board.... someone might take a long time to make a move, or someone might pause the game. So there's two tracks of time. The passage of time in the game, and the overall passage of time for the players of the game. And your clock, instead of measuring our time, is somehow measuring the time of the players?"

Shank shrugged, that was his best guess. Besides, talking to Doc about the discoveries he had made was a more... mundane expenditure of time. It was rare that he had a conversation that was about anything other than the next crisis. He looked about again, and supposed he would have to confront that as some point, but... maybe some time could pass before he really had to.

Doctor

Post by Doctor » 11/11/18 06:43 PM

Time Turner was a bit baffled by that, raising an eyebrow slowly at Shanks, before breaking out into a mad smile. "Yes! YES! It's in that same vein of thinking- more like the entire UNIVERSE is the space outside of our game board, but you're most certainly close!" He laughed a bit at that in gay excitement, before nodding and clearing his throat some to try and 'calm' himself. Then a smirk grew across his muzzle. "And here I thought you said Science and Magic weren't your strong suits~" He joked, snickering some as he nodded to him. "But yes- yes, yes yes yes, you're entirely on the correct mindset with that, and you're extremely close. The problem I've been having here is that despite it displaying a time that is out of sync with our perception of it, it is still built and designed to display /our time."/ Time Turner said, before smiling some as he turned with him. "Here- would you care to walk and talk? It would certainly take my mind off of the stress of the last 2 weeks...." He said, without even waiting for an answer as he began to walk away.

"Anywho, this clock, for ALL of it's genius and great craftsmanship, is that while it's tied into the world OUTSIDE our little bubble of Perception- it's still built to display our time within the Bubble." Time Turner picked back up, right where he left off. "It is almost as if the clock was built outside the scope of just our world.... Using your Terminology, it's as if someone had made a particular "piece" for our little game board, that was set to be accurate with the 'Real World' outside the board. But, because someone went and mucked about with time travel spells, our board was... "set back" quiet a bit. Or at least- the other 'Pieces' on the board (you and I in other words) had our perception of time delayed quiet severely." The stallion then turned and looked down to a watch on his wrist. "By my calculations? Nearly.... 22 minutes to be exact. Give or take a select number of 2 to 3 minute intervals for 'breaks' that happen naturally in our perception of time- no more than 4 or 5 a day though." He clarified with a sly chuckle.

"Honestly- I haven't even gone and fixed it yet. I haven't even attempted to- it took me just two weeks to figure all this out after opening it up... Mind you, my Family has been here in town since it was founded, and we have NEVER had a clock brought to us that we couldn't fix." He said with a hint of pride, holding his head up high as he put his hoof to his chest. "... But this? This could possibly be out of even MY league of fixing." He admitted, shaking his head with a soft sigh. "Sooo... I'm bringing it back to Princess Twilight in hopes that she might be able to help me understand this thing a bit better. There is magic in here that I can't begin to fiddle with without a Unicorn's help- and I honestly think Miss Sparkle would love to take up the challenge of figuring this mechanism out with me." He then paused in his hoof-steps, before turning to Shanks with a smile. "Don't worry, old chap. I'll make sure to save you the trouble of our lectures~" He teased.