Creating my First D&D Campaign - Seeking peer review and possible players!

Random discussions of all kinds.
Fizzlepop Berrytwist

Creating my First D&D Campaign - Seeking peer review and possible players!

Post by Fizzlepop Berrytwist » 12/8/18 11:12 PM

For the past few months I've been on a bit of a D&D craze, I've always had an appreciation for the multiple editions and variations of tabletop RPG and while I've only played a single unfinished campaign (due to the DM moving away unexpectedly) I feel like by watching and attending other games I've absorbed enough to get a grasp on the concept. Of course, I've also been pouring over rule books for Pathfinder and 5E for a few weeks now, and starting several days ago I began work on my first campaign, based primarily off of a fiction I once wrote. This is a pony based campaign, plenty of thought has been focused on making that detail easy to work with while maintaining the creative flow any good campaign deserves, and I think that through the help of my friend Thorax I've nearly finished the hardest parts. Next, however, comes the emotionally challenging bit. I am calling upon veteran players, DMs and even never-before-players of D&D to let me know what you think of my little idea. I can't reveal all of the secrets of course, but I can present the main information that players will start with, as well as the general ideas I have come up with as a DM to make things unique for the players regardless if they're a bulk Unicorn or a nerdy Dragon. Once I've nailed all of this down, I'll be posting a reply here in a wall of text that outlines the details I've mentioned. While I'm still slaving away making sure I don't miss some important detail, do you guys have any requests or suggestions for a starting DM?
Side Note: Because reasons, this campaign takes place in the timeline between Twilight becoming an Alicorn and gaining her castle, with the castle itself not existing in the first place.

Fizzlepop Berrytwist

Re: Creating my First D&D Campaign - Seeking peer review and possible players!

Post by Fizzlepop Berrytwist » 12/10/18 08:51 PM

First question for you guys! Race features for the Equestrians... Unicorns have knowledge of Arcana increased by 1, Pegasi have their DEX increased by 1 but lower CON by the same amount in return. What about Earth ponies? And what special abilities, if any, should these races have? (Currently I have a prototype Pegasus move that is essentially a high speed rush for higher damage the farther away one is, though the range is limited by agility stat. It can be stopped with either a STR or DEX check and both have different impacts on what happens, like either dodging or catching the attacker.)