Racisim in MLP? Who, where, and why?

Random discussions of all kinds.

Do you think Equestria and beyond would still have racisim/specisim?

Yes
73%
No
12%
Maybe
15%

Total votes: 26

Creative Aura

Racisim in MLP? Who, where, and why?

Post by Creative Aura » 7/29/18 02:13 AM

Do you think Equestria and beyond would still have racisim/specisim?
What kind of specisim, between what races, and why?

Like Zebras for example. How do you think the rest of the world views them, and treats them?
Or Griffins, along with any other race. Even Dimaond Dogs.

Could be useful for me to know, for story writting. Especially since an idea I have had for a few days, involes a popular Unicorn who's whole idenity revolves around magic, getting turned into a race that isn't as loved or popular, with no access to magic.

Eye Scream

Re: Racisim in MLP? Who, where, and why?

Post by Eye Scream » 7/29/18 04:28 AM

Considering that even the beginning of Equestria depicted in the show included the three pony races literally killing eachother over who had/lacked of a certain bodypart, and the show still giving subtle and unsubtle examples of race/species segregation and dislike, it wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that the same happens outside of horseland, though hopefully we'll get a better insight in the upcoming episodes, as the theme shifted to a broader scale.

Though the rascism seems to be slowly getting solved as the series progresses, but perhaps not enough as of now to create tension when writing character interaction.

Creative Aura

Post by Creative Aura » 7/29/18 11:47 AM

I think Chacellor Neighsay is one of the strongest and most disturbing depictions of racisim in the show.
He borderlines on nazi level of the "Master Race" mindset (Ignore Godwin's law for now), was willing to start WARS with other races over not allowing their children to attend the school of friendship, since he didn't want them getting any benefits they could use against their country.

He even refused to refer to all the other non-pony races present as proper creatures, or by their names
And he IS PART OF THE EQUESTRIAN EDUCATION AUTHORITY. So ponies might have been rised to be unknowningly, or even knowingly racist against others.

Loose Cannon

Post by Loose Cannon » 7/30/18 02:07 AM

When there are many different species that have many different functions, it's easy to hate on what you won't be able to fully understand.

Mena

Post by Mena » 7/30/18 06:39 AM

She smiles as she wanders off singing softly,
"Everyone's a little bit Racist, sometimes. Doesn't mean we go around committing Hate crimes. Look around and You will find, No one's really Color-blind. Maybe it's a fact We all should face. Everyone makes Judgments...Based on race."

Cadenza Mi Amore

Post by Cadenza Mi Amore » 7/30/18 11:03 AM

Creative Aura wrote:
7/29/18 11:47 AM
I think Chacellor Neighsay is one of the strongest and most disturbing depictions of racism in the show.
I think this is true, which is also why he's awesome. His racism is a function of his nationalism. If griffons were living in Equestria, under Equestrian law, I don't think he'd have any problem with them. As long as they followed the pony way. He's geographically racist.

Creative Aura

Post by Creative Aura » 7/30/18 06:20 PM

So, say a Zebra or Griffin is looking around Manehattin. They are basically a random nobody.
Would they get any negative treatement there, that a pony wouldn't get?